Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI®) is the data exchange standard that allows schools to integrate the tools and apps they use more securely. LTI was developed by 1EdTech (formerly IMS Global), a community of leaders across K-12, higher education, and edtech suppliers who are committed to building an open, trusted, and innovative digital learning ecosystem at every level. Representing 28 countries, the 890-member organization, including GG4L, brings people together to enable an innovative and future-ready digital learning ecosystem.
What Is Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)?
LTI is plug-and-play integration that allows schools to implement third-party learning tools into their LMS. Schools can easily integrate with apps, their chosen learning management system, and even on premise and cloud portals in only a few clicks. It makes it possible for users – students and staff – to use the same credentials across all of the apps they use. Navigation is seamless and information is exchanged securely.
Benefits of LTI Integration
There are many benefits of being part of the 1EdTech Community and using LTI integration, including:
- Automation that saves time
- Secure data exchange that protects PII
- Better user experience
As explained by 1EdTech, “The 1EdTech Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) standard prescribes a way to easily and securely connect learning applications and tools with platforms like learning management systems (LMS), portals and learning object repositories on your premise or in the cloud, in a secure and standard manner and without the need for expensive custom programming. Using LTI, if you have an interactive assessment application or virtual chemistry lab, it can be securely connected to your LMS with a few clicks. LTI is comprised of a central core and optional services to add optional features and functions. The LTI core establishes a secure connection and confirms the tool’s authenticity while the extensions add features like the exchange of assignment and grade data between assessment tools and your LMS gradebook.”
Why GG4L and 1EdTech?
GG4L is a proud member of the 1EdTech community, and the combined power of School Passport and LTI Integration gives schools and edtech vendors a significant advantage, including:
- Instant Compatibility: Verified compatibility streamlines connecting school district information systems to digital learning technology.
- Better Data Quality: When sharing and synchronizing data, know that all of the required data elements are present and correct.
- Effective Data Governance: Make sure that data is being shared and accounted for and in compliance with 1EdTech standards.
- Membership: Membership with 1EdTech and GG4L gives you access to the tools, standards, and industry experts you need to deploy safe, secure, compliant digital learning technology.
School Passport is GG4L’s data exchange platform that exchanges any data with any EdTech application, is easy to implement for schools and vendors, and eliminates the need to share school PII. Learn more today.