In addition to a widening skills gap, there is already a shortage specifically in the technology sector – and that shortage is continuing to grow at an alarming pace. In order to address this growing concern, GG4L has partnered with Coursera to bring courses to K-12 schools for the first time. Coursera’s online courses can help prepare high school students for the future workplace.
Tech Skills Gap Threatens Economic Stability
There are multiple concerns about this tech skills gap and what it might mean for the future workforce:
- Without a qualified workforce, it’s difficult to compete globally and the country’s economic future could be threatened
- As ransomware and phishing attacks grow more sophisticated and severe, the need for technically capable workers becomes paramount to thwart the threats to our schools, infrastructure, and business
- As student data privacy takes center stage for schools, the need for more high-tech professionals becomes apparent
- AI, AR, and VR are already becoming commonplace in retail, education, healthcare, and other industries, driving demand for technically proficient workers
- Many companies are dropping the college degree requirement and seeking skilled workers who are recent high school graduates
Creating the Future Workforce through High School CTE Programs
GG4L has partnered with Coursera, a leading online learning provider, to give high school students unique opportunities to gain leading industry credentials in high-demand technical skills, preparing them for entry-level jobs in IT. The program provides industry recognized credentials to develop job-ready skills. The credentials offered are endorsed by major IT Vendors and top universities, ensuring training for current challenges and opportunities.
GG4L offers Coursera Cybersecurity Courses for School District IT Staff
Cyber threats to schools are growing at a rapid rate – 2020 was a record-breaking year for cyber-attacks on schools. Schools are struggling to identify and thwart the attacks. Cybersecurity programs from GG4L-Coursera offer districts the tools needed to support building a safe and secure IT infrastructure. Cybersecurity offerings from GG4L and Coursera support staff through:
- Industry recognized credentials in cybersecurity
- Curated pathways for a range of cybersecurity needs
- Creating a safe and secure IT environment
Coursera Offers a Variety of CTE Courses
Coursera is a globally recognized leader in CTE, providing courses from top institutions. They provide courses for a range of skill levels, from conversant to advanced, to meet the broad needs of the future workforce. Certifications are available for:
- Many other third-party vendors
Future-Proof Skills Initiative
As a public benefits corporation, GG4L is committed to achieving certain initiatives designed to improve education and economic stability. Our future-proof skills initiative promotes learning environments for students in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) and business education. Coursera’s mission aligns with the initiative to better prepare students for the future.
Coursera for Campus Offered Exclusively for K-12 Schools by GG4L
Global Grid for Learning is pleased to offer GG4L member schools the Coursera learning platform. It is available now through GG4L’s iPaaS platform School Passport. With PII Shield, we protect your schools’ PII data and are compliant with student data privacy policies. Member schools are being offered one-time incentives to use Coursera. Currently, there are 4,500+ individual courses, 400+ Specializations with 1,800+ Guided Projects and Professional Certification. Learn more.