Google IT Support Professional Certificate
Google is excited to bring the IT Support Professional Certificate to Career & Technical Education high schools across the U.S., building on its established partnership with ~100 community colleges.This hands-on program, fully developed by Google, introduces learners to the fundamentals of IT support that are critical for success in the workplace – like troubleshooting, customer service, networking, operating systems, system administration, and security.
Throughout the curriculum, learners will engage with a dynamic mix of hands-on labs and other interactive assessments. They’ll also receive resume and interview preparation, and hear from Googlers about their experiences working in IT. In the IT Support Professional Certificate, the content, products, and platforms that are taught are Google agnostic; the program is designed for learners to jumpstart their careers at any company across any sector, and has an explicit focus on creating economic opportunity for overlooked groups.
The program reaches nontraditional learners: 58% of U.S. learners identify as Black, latino, female, or veteran, and 45% are in the lowest third of income in the U.S. Further, 80% of learners in our Google IT Support Professional Certificate program in the U.S. report a career impact within 6 months, such as finding a new job, getting a raise, or starting a new business.
Support for jobseekers and those pursuing college
Throughout the program, learners will have access to career support resources like interview and resume prep materials. Learners can also earn a CompTIA and Google dual credential if they complete the Google certificate and pass the CompTIA A+ 1000 certification exams.
For those interested in pursuing a college degree, learners can earn a recommendation of 12 college credits from the American Council on Education’s (ACE) ACE CREDIT® for completing the Google certificate — the equivalent of four college courses at the associate degree-level.
The certificate consists of five courses, which fit well into a single semester:
- Technical Support Fundamentals: This course is the first of a series that aims to prepare learners for a role as an entry-level IT Support Specialist. In this course, learners will be introduced to the world of Information Technology. They’ll learn about the different facets of IT, like computer hardware, the Internet, computer software, troubleshooting, and customer service.
- The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking: This course is designed to provide a full overview of computer networking. It covers everything from the fundamentals of modern networking technologies and protocols to an overview of the cloud to practical applications and network troubleshooting.
- Operating Systems and You: Becoming a power user: In this course, learners will understand the main components of an operating system and how to perform critical tasks like managing software and users and configuring hardware.
- System Administration and IT Infrastructure Services: This course will transition learners from working on a single computer to an entire fleet in a multi-user environment. Learners will understand the infrastructure services that keep all organizations, big and small, up and running. It deep dives on cloud so that they’ll understand everything from typical cloud infrastructure setups to how to manage cloud resources. They’ll also learn how to manage and configure servers and how to use industry tools to manage computers, user information, and user productivity. Finally, they’ll learn how to recover their organization’s IT infrastructure in the event of a disaster.
- IT Security: Defense against the digital dark arts: This course covers a wide variety of IT security concepts, tools, and best practices. It introduces threats and attacks and the many ways they can show up. Learners will have an understanding of encryption algorithms and how they’re used to safeguard data, and covers network security solutions, ranging from firewalls to Wifi encryption options. The course is rounded out by putting all these elements together into a multi-layered, in-depth security architecture, followed by recommendations on how to integrate a culture of security into an organization or team.
All learners must be age 16+.
Offered by Google
The IT Support Professional Certificate program is part of Grow with Google, an initiative that draws on Google’s 20-year history of building products, platforms, and services that help people and businesses grow. Through programs like these, we aim to help everyone– those who make up the workforce of today and the students who will drive the workforce of tomorrow – access the best of Google’s training and tools to grow their skills, careers, and businesses. This program is available for high school CTE programs and Community Colleges. If you are an educator with an interest in bringing this program to your school, complete the form below to express an interest We will reach out to provide more information. If you are an individual interested in taking a course, go to the Grow with Google website to get started.